Newfoundland in Two Weeks: Our Complete Itinerary


When we started planning our trip to Newfoundland, we knew we were in for incredible scenery. We hoped to see icebergs, maybe some whales, and explore a part of Canada that only I had visited before.

Over two weeks, we drove from the Avalon Peninsula to the Northern Peninsula and back again, spending time in many colourful coastal villages along the way.  We saw dramatic coastlines, fascinating history, incredible wildlife, and more beautiful views than I could count.

Over the past several weeks, I've shared each stop of our journey in its own blog post. This page brings them all together in one place. If you're planning your own Newfoundland road trip - or if you've just discovered this series - consider this your starting point.

I hope it inspires you to add Newfoundland to your travel list.


Newfoundland at a Glance

Length of trip: Two weeks

Travel style: Self-drive road trip

Travellers: 4 Women

KMs travelled (not including flights): 4,200 kms

Time of year: June (iceberg season)

Highlights: Icebergs, whales, puffins, Viking history, spectacular scenery, and getting Screeched In


The Route:

We travelled from east to west across the Island, beginning on the Avalon Peninsula before making our way to Twillingate, then north to St. Anthony, across to Gros Morne, and finally returning through Bonavista and Trinity before heading home.





Arriving in Newfoundland

Our Newfoundland adventure began with a flight into St. John's, picking up our rental car, and making the short drive to Bay Bulls.

We had planned our trip during iceberg season, hoping we'd be lucky enough to see an iceberg.

As it turned out, we didn't have to wait long. Seeing our first iceberg floating offshore on our very first evening felt like the perfect welcome to Newfoundland.

Read about our arrival in Newfoundland : A Fridgid Welcome




Bay Bulls

Stayed: 3 nights

Don't miss: Ocean views, nearby boat tours, and using it as a base to explore the Avalon Peninsula.

Bay Bulls was the perfect place to settle into vacation mode.

Our Airbnb overlooked the bay, giving us peaceful mornings, beautiful evenings, and the chance to enjoy being by the ocean before setting off on our adventures each day.

It also made an excellent home base for exploring nearby communities without having to move accommodations every night.



St. John's

Visited as: Day trips from Bay Bulls

Don't miss: Signal Hill, Cape Spear, Jellybean Row, The Narrows,  Quidi Vidi, and the waterfront.

Standing on Signal Hill overlooking The Narrows, visiting Cape Spear, wandering the colourful streets, and even spotting whales feeding below the cliffs made for an unforgettable day.

Every stop seemed to offer another incredible view.

Read about our time in St. John's:  Beautiful St. John’s



Ferryland, La Manche Suspension Bridge and the Irish Loop

Visited as: Full-day road trip

Don't miss: Ferryland, the La Manche Suspension Bridge, St. Vincent Beach, and the scenic drive along the Irish Loop.

One of the things I enjoy most about a road trip is discovering a mix of places, each with something a little different to offer, and this day was a perfect example.

We explored the historic community of Ferryland, hiked and walked across the La Manche Suspension Bridge, visited St. Vincent Beach, and enjoyed the ever-changing scenery as we followed the Irish Loop around the Avalon Peninsula.

Although we didn't spot any whales at St. Vincent Beach that day, the dramatic coastline, quiet beaches, and picturesque communities made the drive well worth it. It was another day that reminded us there is so much more to Newfoundland than simply checking off a list of attractions.

Read about our day exploring the Irish Loop:   Driving the Irish Loop





Gander

Stayed: 1 afternoon

Don't miss: The story behind Come From Away and Operation Yellow Ribbon.

Before visiting Gander, I knew the connection between Gander and the events of 9/11 but after seeing the musical Come From Away we were inspired to visit the community that left a lasting impact on so many.

The incredible kindness shown by this community gave me an entirely new appreciation for its place in history.

Read about our visit to Gander:   The Come From Away Story



Twillingate

Stayed: 2 nights

Don't miss: Iceberg Quest, Long Point Lighthouse, Spiller's Cove, and watching for icebergs and whales from shore.

Twillingate was one of the places I had been looking forward to the most.

Known as the Iceberg Capital of the World, it certainly lived up to its reputation. We saw several icebergs during our stay, and our Iceberg Quest boat tour became one of the highlights of the trip.

Seeing those massive pieces of ice up close is something I'll never forget.

Read about our time in Twillingate:   Twillingate: Iceburgs, Hospitality and Views

Read about our Iceberg Quest adventure:   Chasing Icebergs

Read about Watching Whales:  The Magic of Whale Watching



St. Anthony

Stayed: 2 nights

Don't miss: The drive north, the slower pace, and the gateway to Viking history.

As we continued north, Newfoundland began to feel even more remote.

The drive itself was beautiful, and St. Anthony had a peaceful feel that was quite different from the communities we'd already visited.

It was the perfect base for exploring the northern tip of the island.

Read about our time in St. Anthony:   At the Top of Newfoundland



L'Anse aux Meadows

Visited as: Day trip from St. Anthony

Don't miss: The reconstructed Viking settlement and visitor centre.

Standing where Norse explorers lived more than a thousand years ago was one of the most fascinating experiences of our trip.

The reconstructed buildings and interpretive programs made history come alive in a way I hadn't expected.

Read about our visit to L'Anse aux Meadows:   The Vikings





Gros Morne National Park

Stayed: 3 nights in Rocky Harbour

Don't miss: Western Brook Pond, Rocky Harbour, scenic drives, hiking, and allowing yourself enough time to soak it all in.

If there was one place that completely exceeded my expectations, it was Gros Morne.

We loved staying in Rocky Harbour, taking the unforgettable boat tour through Western Brook Pond, and simply spending several days exploring this incredible national park.

It deserves far more than a quick visit.

Read about our time in Rocky Harbour:   Rocky Harbour

Read about our Western Brook Pond boat tour:  The Ancient Fjords

Read about exploring Gros Morne National Park:  Gros Morne

Read about our early morning surprise:   SS Ethic

Read about Newfoundland’s Moose:   Newfoundland’s Moose



Bonavista

Stayed: 1 night

Don't miss: Bonavista Lighthouse, the rugged coastline, and the puffins in nearby Elliston.

By the time we reached Bonavista, we'd already seen so much of Newfoundland - but there were still plenty of highlights waiting for us.

Watching the puffins at Elliston was something I'd been looking forward to all trip, and they certainly didn't disappoint.

Read about our time in Bonavista:  Bonavista

Read about seeing the puffins in Elliston:   Up Close With the Puffins




Trinity

Visited as: Day trip from Bonavista

Don't miss: Walking through town and hiking the Skerwink Trail.

Trinity wasn't originally part of our plans, but after hearing so many recommendations, we decided to make the detour.

I'm so glad we did.

The town was full of charm. While we didn’t hike the Skerwink Trail this time, I highly recommend it.  I’ve hiked this trail on a previous trip and it was a highlight.

Read about our time in Trinity:   Trinity: History, Charm and Coastal Beauty

Read about hiking the Skerwink Trail:   Hiking the Skerwink Trail



A Newfoundland Tradition: Getting Screeched In

Where: Rocky Harbour

Don't miss: The kitchen party, the oath, and yes... kissing the cod!

No trip to Newfoundland would be complete without experiencing one of its best-known traditions.

Getting Screeched In was one of the most fun evenings of our trip. Between the music, the laughter, the ceremony, and celebrating together, it was the perfect way to wrap up our Newfoundland adventure. And we can now say we are honourary Newfoundlanders.

Read about getting Screeched In:   Screech-In


Looking Back

When I think about those two weeks, I don't remember just one place.

I remember our first iceberg floating quietly offshore. The whales feeding below the cliffs at Cape Spear. The puffins darting back and forth along the coastline. Standing where Vikings once lived. The winding roads that always seemed to lead to another breathtaking view.

And I remember sharing all of it with my sisters and cousin.

I also remember the warmth of the people we met along the way. Everywhere we went, we were greeted with friendly conversations, genuine hospitality, and the kind of kindness that Newfoundland is so well known for.


Those are often the moments that stay with you the longest.

If you're planning your own Newfoundland road trip, I hope our journey gives you a few ideas and a little inspiration. And if you've already visited this beautiful province, I'd love to hear about your favourite places.

Thanks for coming along on the journey. I hope our Newfoundland Adventure inspires one of your own.


Comments

  1. It's been lovely to follow your journey in Newfoundland, Barbara. Between the puffins, Gros Morne, the beautiful coastal scenery and getting screeched in, you managed to fit so many completely different experiences into two weeks. It's such an amazing place! I'd love to visit there myself. 🤗

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thing you took pictures! I would forget (quickly) all the places I visited on a 2-week trip like this. Friends and I did the backpack through Europe after college and would keep a journal of all the places we saw and the things we did. Lookin gback on that keeps it alive, even after 40+ years!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful photos these are! I appreciate you sharing them and your travel experiences in Newfoundland. Be safe and enjoy your trips.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barbara, thank you for taking me along on your trip and the recap in this post. Over 4k km, that's a lot of miles! You definitely made me want to go there myself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barbara, you and Tamara certainly make excellent tour guides. I envy you both for your love and skill in travelling. Newfoundland certainly is a destination on my list if I was to travel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's been great to read about your trip. I had no idea you went to so many places or drove so much, though. I was just glad to see all the beautiful pictures!! Thanks for sharing your experiences.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

July Begins: The Start of a New Ultimate Blog Challenge and a Newfoundland Adventure

Where are we now?

Currently we're home, in Ontario, Canada

Where’s are we going next?

I will be off for a quick girls’ trip to Alberta, Canada to celebrate a friend’s birthday

Where We've Been

Red Flags have corresponding blog posts. White Flags mean I still have yet to write about it