Getting Screeched In: Becoming An Honorary Newfoundlander
One of the things we wanted to do while we were in Newfoundland was get screeched in. We'd heard about it before our trip, and it sounded like one of those experiences you just have to do at least once.
Our chance came while we were staying in Rocky Harbour. After an evening filled with music, laughter, and Newfoundland storytelling at the kitchen party, the entertainment wasn't quite over. At the end of the night, anyone who wanted to become an honorary Newfoundlander was invited to take part in the Screech-In ceremony.
If you've never heard of it, getting screeched in is a Newfoundland tradition that welcomes visitors as honorary Newfoundlanders. It's all done with a healthy dose of humour, and no one takes it too seriously - which is exactly what makes it so much fun.
The ceremony follows a few time-honoured steps.
First, the Screech Master asked the group “Is ye a Screecher?”
We replied “Deed I is, me old cock, and long may your big jib draw!” (Meaning “Indeed, I am, my old friend, and may there always be wind in your sails!”)
Next comes a shot of Newfoundland Screech, a dark Jamaican-style rum that has become a symbol of the province. Then the oath:
From the waters of the Avalon, to the shores of Labrador,
We’ve always stuck together, with a rant and a roar.
To those who’ve never been, soon they’ll understand,
From coast to coast, we raise a toast, we love thee Newfoundland!
We repeated the traditional Newfoundland sayings after our host, doing our best to keep up with the local expressions and trying not to laugh.
Then came the moment everyone had been waiting for.
The cod.
Yes... to officially complete the ceremony, we each had to kiss a codfish.
We were then presented with certificates declaring us honorary Newfoundlanders.
It was silly, lighthearted, and a great way to end our Newfoundland adventure. More than anything, it reflected the warmth, humour, and hospitality we experienced throughout our time in Newfoundland.
Now, thanks to one unforgettable evening in Rocky Harbour, my sisters, cousin, and I can proudly say we're honorary Newfoundlanders.
The last thing we had to promise before we were given our certificates was that we would return to Newfoundland every year or two.
That is something that I will happily do!


How fun is that! From all your posts on Newfoundland, I can see why you would want to return every so often.
ReplyDeleteI once saw a video of people getting screeched in. Some alcohol may have been involved ;-)
ReplyDelete🤩 haha I LOVE this!!! I think I could manage the oath and the rum, but kissing the cod might test my commitment to becoming an honorary Newfoundlander! 😅 What a brilliantly memorable way to end your trip, though.
ReplyDeleteI have never heard of getting screached in. But then I've never been to Newfoundland. I would love to go sometime.
ReplyDeleteSounds like fun. After a shot of rum, I guess I can kiss a cod.
ReplyDelete