Corfu, Greece


Our next port of call was Corfu, and this was another first for us. After three days in a row of getting off the ship and exploring old towns, we were ready to change things up a bit.

Our original plan was to head to the beach and enjoy a relaxing day. That sounded pretty good to us. But when we got up that morning, it was drizzly, and the forecast was calling for rain throughout the day. A beach day wasn't looking quite so appealing anymore, so we decided we'd be better off going back to Plan A and exploring the Old Town.

We opted for a slower start and eventually made our way to the New Fortress. It was interesting to walk through, but there was very little information explaining what we were looking at or telling us about its history. We wandered around for a while, but left without really knowing much about the place we'd just explored.





Later in the day, when we were back on the ship, I did a little reading about the New Fortress. I learned that it was built by the Venetians in the late 16th century to strengthen the city's defences against Ottoman attacks. Corfu's position in the Ionian Sea made it strategically important, and the fortress formed part of an extensive defensive system protecting the city. It would have been interesting to know more about its history while we were walking through it, rather than having to look it up afterwards.





From there, we wandered through some of the streets, looked in a few shops and stopped for lunch. Corfu's Old Town has a long and varied history, with Venetian, French and British influences visible in its architecture. The historic centre is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and there are certainly plenty of old buildings and narrow streets to explore.

As we continued walking, though, we found ourselves passing one shop after another. There were plenty of places to shop and eat, but we weren't finding much else that really grabbed our attention.



Eventually, we came across the Old Fortress. By that point, we were getting tired, and it was getting closer to the time we needed to be back on the ship. We decided not to go inside and instead took a few photos from the outside before continuing on our way.

Back on board, I learned that the Old Fortress has roots dating back to the Byzantine period.  Dating back to AD 550, that makes it 1,500 years old.  The Venetians later strengthened and expanded its defences.

Sitting on a rocky peninsula beside the Old Town, it played an important role in protecting Corfu for centuries. Today, it is one of the city's best-known landmarks. Having learned a little more about it afterwards, I wondered whether we might have appreciated it more if we'd had the time to explore inside.




Maybe we had just hit Corfu on an off day, but we weren't overly impressed. We didn't find a lot to do in the part of Corfu we explored beyond shopping and eating. We also found the people we encountered less welcoming than we'd expected, although that may have been more about cultural differences than anything else. 

That doesn't mean we had a bad day. We wandered, had lunch, saw a few interesting things and enjoyed being together. But sometimes a place just doesn't click with you, and Corfu was one of those places for us.

We made our way back to the ship feeling that, based on what we'd seen, we probably didn't need to return.

Maybe the beach would have changed our minds.





Comments

  1. I appreciate you sharing your travel experiences and photos of these places. The old building structures are interesting and worth exploring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Danwil. I’m glad you’re enjoying it.

      Delete
  2. The Fortress looks amazing. At least you had a good walk through it. Bad weather sometimes makes everyone not quite as friendly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish we had the time to do the old fortress

      Delete
  3. The stormy skies do look cool in the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too bad the folks about town didn't seem too inviting but the fortress looked beautiful and I love your picture of the town at the start of the post...glad you had a good time exploring

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m sure it was just a cultural difference.

      Delete
  5. It felt a bit like a disappointing day. And a pity about not knowing more about the Fortress ahead of time. My only knowledge of Corfu is from "The Durrells of Corfu" and it's a much different picture -- decades ago, more rural!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather did’t help either. But it was still a good day.

      Delete
  6. Isn't it mind-blowing how old certain buildings and structures are? When were you there? I read "drizzle", and where I live we did not have any drizzle all summer long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were there two days ago.
      Yes, it blows my mind the age of some of the things we’ve seen. In Canada, everything is so young in comparrison.

      Delete
  7. It must be nice to have a spare fortress around the place, just in case you need an extra.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that really looks like it would be interesting to see in person.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know too much about this part of the world, its history, culture, food. Too bad there was not a guided tour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have even loved to have information boards throughout.

      Delete
  10. Oh that's a bummer, that there wasn't info available while you were out and about. I'm glad you were able to find out more about Corfu when you got back, though. As always, I appreciate your sharing your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I’m glad I was able to look up some information later. I think I need to do more research on these things ahead of time.

      Delete
  11. Sorry it was a letdown, but you did get to see some interesting sights.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am like you I need a detailed explanation to fully understand what I am looking at. Shame it wasn't the best day to visit.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Jasper: Seeing the Aftermath of the Fire

Beyond Amsterdam

Alberta, Here We Come!

Where are we now?

Currently we're home, in Ontario, Canada

Where’s are we going next?

I will be off for a quick girls’ trip to Alberta, Canada to celebrate a friend’s birthday

Where We've Been

Red Flags have corresponding blog posts. White Flags mean I still have yet to write about it