A Sobering Morning

 

For our last day in Amsterdam, the men decided to visit the Rijksmuseum while I chose something quite different. I went to the National Holocaust Museum.

I knew before I went that it would be a difficult visit, but I also felt that it was something I wanted to do while we were in Amsterdam. The museum tells the story of the persecution of Jewish people in the Netherlands during the Second World War, beginning with what life was like before the war and following the gradual process of discrimination, persecution, deportation and murder.



What struck me most was how much it helped me put a picture in my mind of what actually happened here in Amsterdam.

We had spent our days wandering through beautiful streets, along canals and across bridges. We had admired the old buildings, enjoyed the cafés and watched people going about their everyday lives. Then, inside the museum, I was reminded that these same streets had once been the backdrop to something unimaginable.



The museum is located in a former school building on Plantage Middenlaan, directly across from the Hollandsche Schouwburg. During the war, the Nazis used the theatre as a place to gather Jewish people before they were deported. The school across the street was involved in helping hundreds of Jewish children escape from the nearby nursery where they were being held.

There were photographs, personal belongings, documents and stories of people whose lives were changed forever. Seeing those individual stories made the history feel much more personal. It wasn't just something that happened many years ago in a history book. These were people who had lived, worked, raised families and walked the same streets we had been walking.




It was a very sobering experience, but I'm glad I went.

Sometimes travel isn't just about seeing beautiful places or having wonderful experiences. Sometimes it's about taking the time to understand what happened in the places we visit. For me, this was one of those times.


A Few Final Amsterdam Memories

We’ve been here for several days, and there are so many little moments that don't really fit into a particular post. So rather than trying to add another story to the end of our Amsterdam visit, I thought I'd share a few of my favourite photos from our time here.

They are the little pieces of Amsterdam that I know I'll remember.


The view from our hotel room

The Dancing Ladies - each house going in a different direction.  There are so many crooked buildings in Amsterdam.

The Royal Palace




As we leave Amsterdam and move onto the next part of our trip, I’ll be taking so many memories with me of our time in this beautiful city.





Comments

  1. Thanks for the beautiful photos of Amsterdam. Makes me want to go there again. Curious where you're off to next 😃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are taking a cruise out of Rome with the family next.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for looking behind the scenic part of Amsterdam. I wish certain people in charge of world politics would care to do so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The world would be a better place if they did.

      Delete
  3. Oh gosh! Yes, that is sobering. I don't know how you could bear it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s tough to read. I only read part of the testimonials because it was difficult.

      Delete
  4. Amazing photos. I've only seen photos of the Holocaust museums in Europe. But when I know they're going to be presented on television I watch. It's something that we should never ever forget.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes the things that people miss are the most important things. What an experience you had reliving their past. Your trip looks amazingly wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A travel experience that makes you take a step back and really ponder about history, the lessons that it has to teach us and the mistakes that we continue to repeat as a civilization... Enjoyed reading this post

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for writing about this, Barbara. I'm in Amsterdam part of the year, and it's good that you went. The detail that the school across from the Hollandsche Schouwburg helped children get out stayed with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It stayed with me as well. Standing there I could visualize how they were able to sneak the children out. There were so many brave souls!

      Delete
  8. I think I painted one of those same canals! I know they look similar but for some reason, I'm pretty sure this is the same one! I'm glad you went there. We didn't (but were able to get into Anne Frank) and it is so important to remember what happened then, what could happen now, and the brave people who became victims of a madman. It sounds like a wonderful trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very sobering indeed.
      How cool that you were able to paint the canals.

      Delete
  9. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts and pictures of the National Holocaust Museum and Amsterdam. I'd like to visit those places someday if I have the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a sobering day! I would have loved to see that museum as well. Just like visiting Hiroshima. Thank you for letting me follow your wonderful trip.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It has been a bit confusing to have two bloggers visiting the Netherlands at the same time, especially when you are both new-to-me bloggers. I think I have you sorted now. 🤓

    ReplyDelete
  12. Barbara, about the museum: it seems there are few limits to human creative cruelty. We must not forget. About the architecture: when visiting Amsterdam, I was agog at how narrow and tall the buildings were. Alas, I missed the crooked ones! I would love to photograph them now. I love your contrasting shots of the homes you drive your boat up to and the homes you see in movies, up a seawall and recessed. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It sounds like you learned a lot in Amsterdam.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Reminders of war are sombering. I saw the Hiroshima War Museum. Thank you for all the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like to learn the culture whenever I'm traveling and to do that, one needs to always understand the past.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Alberta, Here We Come!

Tea Time Chat

The 12 Good Years

Where are we now?

Currently we're home, in Ontario, Canada

Where’s are we going next?

I will be off for a quick girls’ trip to Alberta, Canada to celebrate a friend’s birthday

Where We've Been

Red Flags have corresponding blog posts. White Flags mean I still have yet to write about it