Things That Make Me Rediculously Happy in Retirement
- A fresh cup of tea - especially first thing in the morning.
- Getting into freshly changed sheets - there may be few things better at the end of the day.
- Having absolutely nothing on the calendar - no appointments, no errands, no commitments. Just a completely free day.
- Finding a really good parking spot — especially when it's close to the entrance. It's a tiny victory, but I'll take it.
- Discovering a new place close to home - realizing we've lived somewhere for years and still have things to explore.
- Meeting up with friends for a long lunch - catching up and a little gossip.
- Crossing something off the to-do list - sometimes I actually add something that I’ve already done so I can cross it off.
- Hearing the rain on the roof - especially when it’s a hard rain
- Heading out for a long bike ride - on the e-bikes of course.
- Finding something I thought I'd lost — particularly when I've already searched for it three times.
- The house being clean and tidy - that brief, glorious period before somebody messes it up again.
- A really good night's sleep — increasingly something to celebrate, especially at this age.
- Curling up with the cat before bed - it’s all about those late night purrs.
- Looking through old photos - especially of the boys when they were small.
- A really good sunset - even when I've seen hundreds of them.
- Realizing I don't have to hurry - perhaps one of the best little joys of all.
- Binge-watching a show - one that is impossible to turn off.
- Freshly fallen snow - especially the kind that sticks to the trees
- Walking outside at night after a snow storm - for those who get snow you know what I mean - it is so quiet and peaceful as the snow deadens the sound
- Left-overs in the fridge - so we don’t have to make dinner
Popular posts from this blog
Today I’m off to Alberta. I’m heading out with three friends for a quick little trip to celebrate our friend Michele’s 70th birthday. Four women, five days in the Rockies, and, undoubtedly, lots of laughs along the way. The road between Banff and Jasper is spectacular. Even though I’ve made the trip before, I never get tired of seeing the Canadian Rockies. I’m usually up for doing some hiking and exploring off the beaten track. However, this time around it will be a little more laid back. I know we’ll be taking longer lunches, doing some shopping and enjoying some scenic drives. Hopefully, we’ll also get lucky and see some bears and moose along the way. Even though it will be a shorter trip, I’m looking forward to sharing one of the most beautiful places on Earth with good friends. I hope to find to to blog along the way, so stay tuned. I’m sure I’ll have some stories, photos and maybe a little Alberta adventure to share with you while we’re there. Alberta, here we c...
Where did the summer go? This is the last unofficial week of summer. The kids go back to school next Tuesday. Where did the time go? I had so many plans for this summer, and somehow a lot of them just seemed to evaporate. We spent very little time at the trailer. In fact, I’ve only been down to the beach once all summer, which seems almost impossible. We did a little bike riding, but certainly not as much as we usually do. I’ve been trying to figure out what took up all the time. Then I started adding it all up. I was away for almost a week crafting with friends, which was definitely time well spent. But a big part of the summer was taken up with getting my mother moved into her new assisted living home and helping her get settled. And when I say “getting settled,” I mean everything that comes along with a move. There was cleaning out her old apartment, appointments with her old doctor and her new doctor, getting her TV and phone set up, taking her shopping multiple times, taking...
I recently read an article about something called the 12 good years , and I've been thinking about it ever since. I had never heard the term before. The basic idea is that once we reach 60, we may have about twelve years when we are still healthy and active enough to do many of the things we enjoy doing. Travel, walk, hike, explore, climb stairs, carry our luggage, and generally get out there and do things without our bodies getting in the way too much. Twelve years. Twelve years! From 60! When I first read that, I thought, that’s not very long at all . And then, of course, I did the math. I’m soon turning 65. At the time we retired at the end of 2019, I thought we had lots of time ahead of us. We had plans. We were going to travel, explore and finally have the freedom to do some of the things we'd talked about doing while we were still working. Then a few months later, COVID happened. Needless to say, those first couple of years of retirement didn't exactly go ac...
Where are we now?
Currently we're home, in Ontario, Canada
Where’s are we going next?
I will be off for a quick girls’ trip to Alberta, Canada to celebrate a friend’s birthday
So many good things on this list!! I think my favorite is having absolutely nothing on the calendar. But binge-watching a show is wonderful, too! I recently did that with That Girl and was actually a little sad when I got to the end of it. Now I'm watching The Other Bennet Sister, but I'm making it last longer on purpose.
ReplyDeleteI haven’t heard of either of those. I wonder if they’re on the Canadian Netflix.
DeleteI miss hearing the rain on the roof. I am now hard of hearing and have to pay attention to hear certain sounds. The rain was so loud on my metal deck roof before. Now I have to be out on the deck to hear it.
ReplyDeleteThat would be very sad. I would miss it too.
DeleteIt was kind of you to stop by to see Precious and the bike ride. I'm retired, and I never get tired of it, lol.
ReplyDeleteWe purchased e-bikes 4 years ago and are on them every chance we get. It has been one of the best purchases we’ve ever made.
Delete