The Art of Leaving Room for spontaneity in Travel

 


I'm a planner by nature.

Before every trip, I research the area, mark places on Google Maps, read reviews, and make a list of things I'd love to see. I enjoy the planning almost as much as the trip itself. It builds anticipation and helps make the most of the time we have.

But over the years, I've learned something important.

The best trips aren't always the ones where every minute is scheduled. They're the ones where there's enough room for the curveballs and surprises along the way.

Some of my favourite travel memories happened because we weren't rushing to the next attraction.

It was finding a quiet beach and deciding to stay longer than we'd planned because the view was too beautiful to leave.

It was stopping at a roadside lookout that wasn't in any guidebook.

It was wandering into a small bookstore, chatting with the owner, and walking out with a book I never knew I wanted.

It was taking a different road just to see where it went.

None of those moments were on an itinerary.

On our recent trip to Newfoundland, we certainly had a list of places we wanted to visit. But we also built flexibility into our days. We left time to pull over when something caught our eye.  We were in no hurry to move on when we came across another iceberg.  We spent longer exploring a little fishing village  because we enjoyed being there.

If every hour had been spoken for, we would have missed many experiences.

I think there's a difference between having a plan and being ruled by one.

A plan gives you direction.

An overly detailed schedule can make you feel like you're constantly watching the clock instead of looking around.

Travel has a way of revealing unexpected opportunities. A local recommends a hidden trail. You stumble across a farmers' market. The weather changes, and suddenly the best thing to do is sit in a café with a cup of tea and watch the rain. Sometimes it’s these moments that you remember long after the trip has ended.

None of those things can be scheduled.

I've also found that leaving room in the itinerary makes travel less stressful. When one excursion takes longer than expected or the weather changes your plans, it doesn't feel like the whole day has fallen apart. You simply adjust and move on.

Not every destination needs to be conquered.

Sometimes it's enough to sit on a bench overlooking the ocean, watch fishing boats come and go, or wander through a neighbourhood without any particular destination in mind.

After all, travel isn't just about checking places off a list. It's about being present enough to notice the moments you never could have planned.

So the next time you're planning a trip, resist the urge to fill every hour.

Leave a little room for the unexpected.

You never know what you'll find.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 1 - Firing it up again!

July Begins: The Start of a New Ultimate Blog Challenge and a Newfoundland Adventure

Where are we now?

Currently we're home, in Ontario, Canada

Where’s are we going next?

I will be off for a quick girls’ trip to Alberta, Canada to celebrate a friend’s birthday

Where We've Been

Red Flags have corresponding blog posts. White Flags mean I still have yet to write about it