My Favourite Travel Apps and Websites



People often ask how I keep track of flights, accommodations, expenses, photos, and all the little details that come with travelling.

The truth is, I'm not someone who downloads every new travel app that comes along. I've tried plenty over the years, but these are the ones that have earned a permanent spot on my phone—or in my bookmarks—because they genuinely make travelling easier.

Some help before the trip, some help while I'm away, and a few help me remember the trip long after I get home.

Here are the travel apps and websites I use over and over again.


Finding Flights: Skyscanner

Skyscanner is usually where I start when I'm dreaming about a trip.

I like that I can search flexible dates and compare prices across different airlines without visiting a dozen websites. The "whole month" view is especially useful when we have flexibility and want to see which days are the least expensive.

I don't always book through Skyscanner, but I almost always use it for research.

Best for: Finding the best flight prices and comparing travel dates. It’s also great for finding cheaper car rentals.



Finding Cruise Deals: Vacations To Go

If we're planning a cruise, one of the first websites I check is Vacations To Go.

I especially like the 90-Day Ticker, which lists cruises departing within the next three months. If your travel dates are flexible, it's a great way to spot discounted fares and compare itineraries from different cruise lines.

Even when we're not ready to book, I enjoy browsing to see what's available. More than once it's inspired a future trip that we hadn't even considered.

Best for: Finding cruise deals and discovering new itineraries.



Booking Hotels: Expedia

For hotels, Expedia is usually my first stop.

I like being able to filter by location, free cancellation, breakfast included, parking, and guest ratings. The app also keeps all my reservation details in one place, which makes check-in much easier.

One feature I use often is saving several hotels so I can compare them before making a final decision.

Best for: Booking hotels and keeping reservations organized.



Comparing Prices: Priceline

Before I book a hotel, I usually check Priceline as well.

Sometimes the price is lower than Expedia, and I've found some excellent deals over the years. If I'm feeling flexible, I'll even look at their Express Deals for additional savings.

It only takes a few extra minutes to compare prices, and every now and then it saves a surprising amount of money.

Best for: Comparing hotel prices and finding great deals.



Staying in an Airbnb

When we're staying somewhere for several nights, Airbnb is often our first choice.

Having a kitchen, laundry, and extra living space makes a big difference on longer trips. Some of our favourite travel memories have come from staying in neighbourhoods where we felt like locals instead of tourists.

On our recent trip to Newfoundland, several of our Airbnb stays became part of the experience, not just a place to sleep.

Best for: Longer stays and unique accommodations.



Planning the Trip: Wanderlog

I'm a planner by nature, but I've learned not to schedule every minute.

That's why I like Wanderlog. I can save restaurants, viewpoints, hiking trails, museums, and other places that interest me without creating a rigid itinerary.

It's more of a "things we'd like to do" list than a minute-by-minute schedule.

Best for: Organizing trip ideas while leaving room for spontaneity.



Finding Things to Do: Viator

I don't book every tour through Viator, but I use it all the time for inspiration.

Before visiting somewhere new, I'll browse to see what experiences are available and read reviews from other travellers. Even if I end up booking directly with a local company, Viator often helps me discover activities I might not have found otherwise.

Best for: Discovering tours, attractions, and unique experiences.



Tracking Our Journey: Polarsteps

Polarsteps is one of my newer discoveries, and I wish I'd found it years ago.

It automatically tracks your route and lets you add photos and notes throughout your trip. Later, it's incredibly helpful when I'm writing blog posts and trying to remember exactly where we were on a particular day.

It has become my travel timeline.

Best for: Tracking your route and documenting your travels.



Keeping a Travel Journal: Day One

If I could only keep one travel app besides maps, this would probably be it.

Throughout a trip, I jot down little moments that I don't want to forget—funny conversations, meals, weather, unexpected detours, and first impressions.

Many of my blog posts begin with notes I wrote in Day One while sitting in a hotel room or enjoying a quiet cup of coffee.

Best for: Recording travel memories while they're still fresh.



Capturing the Trip: 1 Second Everyday

This app is just plain fun.

Each day I save a one-second video clip, and by the end of the trip those tiny moments become a short movie.

It's amazing how much emotion can fit into a one-second clip. Watching them back always brings back memories that still photos sometimes miss.

Best for: Creating a video diary of your travels.



Splitting Expenses: Tricount

When travelling with family or friends, someone always pays for lunch, someone else buys groceries, and another person fills the gas tank.

Instead of trying to remember who owes what, we use Tricount.

Everyone enters what they paid, and the app calculates everything automatically. It makes settling up at the end of the trip quick and painless.

Best for: Sharing expenses on group trips.



Staying Secure Online: NordVPN

Whenever we're travelling, especially internationally, I use NordVPN to help protect my internet connection.

Whether I'm checking my bank account, logging into email, or using public Wi-Fi at a hotel, airport, or café, it gives me extra peace of mind. It also comes in handy if I need to access websites or streaming services that aren't available in certain countries.

It's one of those apps that quietly does its job in the background.

Best for: Protecting your privacy and security while using public Wi-Fi.



Breaking the Language Barrier: Google Translate

This is the app I hope I won't need—and almost always end up using.

Google Translate has helped with menus, grocery shopping, train stations, signs, and conversations with locals. I especially love the camera feature, which lets you point your phone at text and instantly see a translation.

Before every international trip, I download the language packs so they'll work even without an internet connection.

Best for: Translating menus, signs, and everyday conversations.



Technology has certainly changed the way we travel, but for me, the goal isn't to spend more time looking at my phone.

It's to spend less time worrying about the logistics so I can spend more time enjoying the experience.

I'd love to hear from you. What travel apps or websites do you use every time you travel? Maybe you'll introduce me to one I haven't discovered yet!


Comments

  1. Thanks for all the great travel app info. I can't wait for my next trip

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many apps I have never heard of. The 1 second a day sounds like fun! If ever you find Google translate may not be doing such a great job after all, I recommend using deepl.com.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

July Begins: The Start of a New Ultimate Blog Challenge and a Newfoundland Adventure

Where are we now?

Currently we're home, in Ontario, Canada

Where’s are we going next?

I will be off for a quick girls’ trip to Alberta, Canada to celebrate a friend’s birthday

Where We've Been

Red Flags have corresponding blog posts. White Flags mean I still have yet to write about it